A 13th century Dominican church converted into an impressive contemporary bookstore. The project designed by architecture firm Merkx + Girod, exemplifies a brilliant union between the opposing aesthetics. The space maintains the church’s architectural structure and definitive design attributes while inviting the contemporary stylings of a modern bookstore. The building that houses the store is in fact a Gothic church consecrated in 1294 by the Order of Predicators founded by St. Dominic. The church has not hosted a religious function since 1794, when the church was confiscated by Napoleon’s army for military purposes.
Photos: Roos Aldershoff
Dominikanerkerkstraat 1 6211 CZ
Maastricht, The Netherlands