Forget spring cleaning. Sometime’s a girl’s got to take a good, hard look into her closet and discover the harsh truth: Some items just aren’t necessary. And so, that was the case for Pretty Little Liars star Ashley Benson, who teamed up with celebrity stylist, Jamie Schneider, and luxury e-commerce marketplace, Shop Hers, to make room for new items this winter.
Ashley is seen wearing a bracelet from designer Lisa Hoffman, as well as items found on Shop Hers’ website.
The duo spent all day weeding through Benson’s two closets full of pieces. Ashley donated all the jeans she hadn’t worn, logo tees, and countless pairs of shoes and bags. Jamie coordinated all the pieces and divided her closet by essentials and seasonal styles, and then teamed up with Shop Hers to find designer staples like a black leather Isabel Marant skirt, a Chanel sweater, a Barbara Bui top, a Burberry jacket, Chanel and Balenciaga bags and more. Ashley also curated a list of pieces she’s coveting now (make sure to check it out before it’s all gone!).
Check out some of the closet clean-out tips from Ashley’s stylist, Jamie Schneider:
1. We really defined what Ashley’s style is and should be and got rid of anything that did not fall within those guidelines. Beginning a closet clean out with a clear strategy and vision for your style is key and can keep you from agonizing over whether to keep, toss, or sell every item.
2. We went through and cleared out anything that had not be worn within the last year. This give you a full season to wear something and is a good benchmark for what you truly like and don’t like in your closet.
3. We tossed anything with crazy logos and sayings, aside from mementos from movies, etc.
4. I color coordinated everything in the closet as it makes it so much easier to find things. It gives you a simple system so you’re not rummaging through your whole closet for that one top you remember having.
5. We went through staples such as leather jackets, blazers, white t-shirts and made a list of what staples Ashley was missing, like a great pair of black high-waisted pants. Staples should always be the items you pay a little more of a premium on so go for the beautifully well made leather designer jacket.
6. This girl had a LOT of jeans! We got rid of any denim that wasn’t comfortable or had a perfect fit.
7. I took all heavy winter coats and things that weren’t worn often and put them in a separate closet as they are not everyday necessities and can reduce the bulk of your closet making it easier to get to your staples.